Preparing for today's sea trials

19.08.2016 (Covering the period from 30.07.2016 to 18.08.2016)

For the last two weeks we have been busy preparing for the initial sea trials today.

The engine could not be directly mounted on the original stringers. That's why our partner - Scorpion RIBs offered to help strengthen and raise them. The image below shows the arrangement of the engine mounts and Scorpion's accurate measurement (in blue). The green numbers were our initial estimate from using modified Hyundai marking and alignment tools.

Scorpion removed all paint and gelcoat down to the fibreglass, inserted appropriate wooden blocks and metal on top and finally covered the fixed stringers with fibreglass and suitable coatings. After this they aligned and mounted the engine for us.

The photo below shows the raised engine beds with the engine mounted.

Since we got the boat back on the 4th of August, we have been working according to a very tight schedule to get ready for the sea trials today while making sure our other projects are not neglected.

When we connected the automatic bilge pump control panel, we realised that the wiring diagram that comes with the panel was incorrect and hence we had to extend and re-wire the bilge switch.

We conducted calculations to specify a suitable propeller. Fortunately we found a supplier who offered us a quick delivery. There was no guarantee that we could have it on time. We will let you know what happened in our next project blog.

Other than that, the preparation of the conventional boat system has almost been completed.

The stern-drive has been mounted and you can see where the propeller will go.


The exhaust piping has been connected.


The cooling system has been connected.

The 12V battery system has been connected to the engine. The photo below shows the starter battery (right) and the auxiliary battery (left) with cables connected to the high power switches.

We also connected the Ultra flex unit which controls the engine throttle, gearbox and trim using CANbus.


We completed the design of the Hybrid System Control Unit (HSCU). All parts have been ordered and received, now ready for assembly. When the HSCU is finished, the clutch will be connected to the HSCU so that it can be engaged when diesel operation is needed and disengaged when electric motor is needed. For now, we just temporarily wired up the clutch so that the diesel engine and the propeller can function properly for today's test runs.

We completed our data logger and installed it on the boat then started testing it. For now we can read the boat speed and engine data on CANbus data e.g. RPM, torque, pressure, temperature and battery voltage.

The electric motor has been mounted into the Hybrid Module.

The wiring for LED mood lighting system in the passenger cabin has been installed.

The purpose of today's diesel test runs is to test the conventional system and the Hybrid Module from a mechanical perspective. Then the assembly of the battery, the HSCU with control software, the Hybrid Power Box (HPB), the Hybrid Display Module (HDM), system integration, testing and improvement cycles will follow. Our aim is to have this done for us to attend the Southampton Boat Show in September.

On another note, our sponsorship programme is taking shape. The photos below show logos from some of the companies who have already become our sponsors. Information about our sponsor kit can be found at and there are still spaces left. So please let us know whether you are interested in sponsoring us or please pass this on to anyone who might be interested.


We hope you enjoyed this update. In the next edition we hope to report on our test runs today and how we are getting on with the hybrid module.